Early morning writing sessions, that first sip of coffee in the morning, reading someone else’s words and finding a connection in them, women who find success both in life and business, those are just a few things that inspire me. The latter of which I was able to draw from when my Manager (Thanks Boss Lady) at my day job offered me the opportunity to attend the USC Women’s Conference: The Collective Wisdom of Role Models & Risk Takers.
USC holds the conference each year and each year I hear(this was my first year) it gets better and better. The panel of speakers for this years event was definitely an indication as to how legit this conference would be. Among the women sharing their risk taking and role modeling experiences with us were Debra L. Lee ,the chairman and CEO of BET Networks, six-time Olympic Medalist Allyson Felix, Analyst for CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network Amy Trask, and my new favorite girl boss Alexis Jones, who launched I AM THAT GIRL in 2008—and quickly became an internationally recognized speaker, media personality, activist and author.
I sat seriously enthralled by each talk, each breakout session, the beautiful USC campus and meeting halls (I should have paid way more attention in high school so that I could have been a student there) and by the accomplished women I met there.
I took some pretty great notes because I knew that I wanted to share them with all of you, so without further ado, here are my favorite takeaways from the event.
- “We as women must share our lives and our personal journey’s”
- “Sometimes when we defer our dreams we never achieve our dream’s”
- “Are you using advice as a strategy or an obstacle?”
- “What you conceive as a detour may be your route”
- “Find value in opportunity”
- “When one teaches two learn”
- “Whether you’re a role model or not know that people are always watching”
- “We can all be role models.”
- Surround yourself with people who
- Believe in you
- Want the best for you
- Bring out your best self
- “Ask yourself how you can tap into more of your potential”
- “If you’re not in a committed relationship, you must pick your spouse wisely” they have as much to do with your success as you
- “Even though other women may be your competitors it’s ok to be friends”
- “Who wants to be in business with just one bright shining star?Why not create a galaxy
- “Communicate, Cooperate, Collaborate”
- “You can create a support system wherever you go if you are willing to ask for help”
- “Get comfortable being uncomfortable”
- “Make a list of all of the people who have believed in you. Take that list and use it to show your appreciation to those that have been there for you”
- “As long as you live a life of mere consumption and not a life of contribution you will never have true joy”
- “It’s not bad enough that we’ve allowed air brushing for years, we’re now air brushing our lives via social media”
- Why we’re battling bravery…
- We believe there aren’t enough resources
- We aren’t honest about our lives
- We’re not good at trying
- You’re playing small in your life
- “You are inherently incredible and to live like you aren’t reduces you”
- “These conversations need to include men”
Besides the information that I gathered from the event, I think the best thing about the USC Women’s Conference is how affordable it is. Early bird ticket prices started at $85.00! The gift bag, professional photographs taken for your Linked In profile, and career advice were worth that alone!
What quote resonates with you the most? What inspires you? I’d love to know in the comments below!